#ISTE18 Less is More

Attending a large (really large) conference can be overwhelming.  When attending a conference I go in with the attitude of less is more.  I attend the session, meet and chat with other educators, walk to Expo Hall and attend the evening events.  Afterwards when I go through all my notes, handouts, swags, and “stuff” I look for 1 or 2 concepts or new ideas I can focus on when I return to my classroom. At #ISTE18 there was so many great ideas and innovations, it was difficult to narrow down.  I knew I needed to because Less is More. If I would walk into my class in August and try to implement 10 new concepts it will not benefit my students.
Here are my two big implementation into my classroom for 2018-2019:
  1. Global Problem Solvers by Ciscos-I am excited to introduction the GPS to my 7th Grade Modern Language.  It will be new way to introduce Global Issues and Design Thinking to my students.  I will be attending at great PD on Design Thinking later this month that will be linked to GPS.  I hope my 7th graders are prepared because this will be epic.
  2. ReThinking EdTech and Digital Citizenship-Our students know how to work an Ipad, a Chromebook but do they know how to use it to change the world?  We can tell our students horror stories about stolen identities and pictures that get passed around the school. I am starting to believe they hear it so much it is no longer working, it is backfiring.  You mention “digital citizenship” to a classroom of 7th graders, you will get eye rolls and a monotone rehashing of “good passwords, no naughty pictures, think before you post.” I am ready to take a different approach, show the students all the good that come with the technology or the “internet of things.” Technology is more than chatting with friends, technology can change the world.

There was a lot more going on at #ISTE18 than just these two things but...LESS IS MORE.  I attended Apple Sessions and I am in love with the new Schoolwork App. I think I am more excited about the new school year starting just so I can play with the App.  I volunteered for Google in the Google Teacher Theater and learned so much. The big take away from that is Jamboard is more that just board and the app works on Apple Devices, double (or triple) bonus.  Attended a great session on OER, so much...so much. Finally, Neuroscientist, David Eagleman, not only did his keynote help understand my 3 year old but my students and the world around me.

Keeping with the theme Less is More, this is just one in a series of post about #ISTE18.  Keep watch for: response to the Death of #EdTech, David Eagleman helps with my 3 year old and My ISTE Certification Journey.

Comments

Popular Posts